8/10/09

Dawson Creek and Glenn from Griffin Sports



We just got back into Vancouver from the Kelowna area, we had a ton of fun, lots of good pics and stuff from the weekend to come. Dawson Creek was a ton of fun as I've already said, here's a video of some random stuff and the interview with Glenn Mah from Griffin Sports, who, if you ever have the pleasure of meeting him, will make sure you have a blast in Dawson Creek.

How long has Griffin Sports been in business? Give us a bit of history behind both of the stores.
Griffin Sports in Dawson Creek has been in business for 24 years now, there has been good years and some "KD" years, I like the other years better by the way. I started the original shop in 1986, before that I was working as a civil engineer. I did enjoy that career for a while but it got kind of boring and I found myself getting a little stagnant. At that point i sat down and tried to figure out what was important to me, money actually came in around number 8. Enjoying work and life was definitely number one so I quit that job and opened up my shop. I saw an opening in my town that had only a "sports distributor" general sporting goods store, my niche was action sports (no Bocce ball for me).
After about 10 years of operating in Dawson Creek a friend in Fort St. John was retiring his sports store and wanted me to take it over. He knew that I wanted a location up there but would not open until he was gone so I just let him liquidate his general sports store and opened up another action sports store. I did have a third location in Grande Prairie, Alberta for a few years but I was insanely busy with three locations and decided to shut that one down so I could see my kids grow up.

The stop planned with your shop is a last minute addition to the tour, what made you want to get involved and how important do you think events like the Re-session Tour are?

I have always wanted to bring some pro riders up to give the kids up here a show and let them see the opportunities in riding. These riders and the show has got me super stoked and i am sure that the kids will be as well, having the guys up here to show their talents will light a fire in lots of the kids watching them.

How's the scene in Dawson Creek these days? Do you see a lot of riders riding everything or a lot more street or park riders?

What are you most excited for when the Re-session Tour rolls in to town?
What am I most excited for when the tour rolls into town? Probably seeing the excitement in the spectators' eyes and seeing jaws drop at the riders' abilities. And, of course, just hanging out with them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment